Saturday, November 17, 2012

teacher dreams

The last few nights I've been having dreams about work. Way back in college I worked as a waitress and would have nightmares of customers leaving without paying and complaining about food. I knew I wasn't cut out for food service for very long. However, these recent dreams aren't nightmarish. In one, I walk down the hallway at school, and read the signs on all the doors: "library", "4th grade", "3rd grade", "hallway". I woke up laughing because "hallway" was labeled. The other night I dreamed I went to a historic house to see an art exhibit, and lots of people were lined up to go in to see the show. Then I realized that many of the people were my students with their families, and the kids called out joyfully, "Hi, Ms. Elcin!!" And I was so pleased to see them out attending cultural events. An art teacher can dream, right?

The picture above is a piece that one of my 5th graders brought in to show me and have me photograph for Artsonia. (I let them bring in independent work to display in our online gallery). It's one of those word sculptures you can get in craft stores which she decorated with patterns. I loved it because the 5th graders are doing letter sculptures, and will hopefully create words with them for our display. It's great when kids connect their school and home experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment