Wednesday, January 16, 2013

3rd grade food mosaics

The quarter is rapidly coming to a close and there is a stack of art a mile high on my desk. I've been grading and photographing like crazy. One of these days I may even get some up on the wall in the halls!  The major project for third grade this past quarter was a food-inspired paper mosaic. It was supposed to be done in time for Thanksgiving, but the project took much longer than I expected. Next year I should just do a mosaic pattern on a smaller piece of paper I think.
Everyone started with a patterned border 2 squares thick. Then they drew a fruit or vegetable inside the frame and filled up the space with the paper mosaic chips. When a box crossed a color section they could cut the chips vertically, horizontally, or diagonally to fit in. The kids did a great job and were really meticulous about finding the right color, cutting and gluing them down.
The number one most popular color was turquoise, which meant that as we neared the end of the project and resources dwindled I had some disappointed kids. The paper mosaic chips are really a great material, though- they are double-sided color, slightly shiny, card-stock weight cut into perfect little squares. It was a lucky find in my closets leftover from the previous art teacher, but I'll be sure to get them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment