Friday, October 26, 2012

Dot, Dot...

My first graders have just finished a mixed media sea life scene that focused on types of lines. They drew a sea creature, filling it with lots of different lines. Then they made paste paper and dragged combs through it to texturize the background. Finally they collaged all the bits together to make their sea creature hide among some seaweed.
 The funniest part of my week happened as they were gluing their collages together. I had taught them the "dot, dot, not a lot" saying to prevent them from making glue puddles on their papers. In the middle of class they all started chanting quietly in unison, "Dot, dot, not a lot... dot, dot, not a lot....dot, dot, not a lot!" And I totally cracked up!
Their collages look great and all very different. These 2 were my favorites!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely work! I've found the same thing - give them a rhyming chant, and they really take it on board!! :)

    ReplyDelete