Friday, September 7, 2012

A peek inside the table folders

 I thought I'd try out using table folders for collecting and passing back artwork. I've got 5 tables labeled with 5 colors to help students identify where they sit. Even though I took great pains all week to check that ALL artwork had names, I know a few sneaked by me. With all students' artwork tucked inside the folders, I won't waste any time trying to figure out whose work is whose next class. One unanticipated problem with folders..... if the helper table kids don't carry the work carefully, all the work spills out.... We'll be doing some demonstration on how to pass back and collect supplies next week.
While most of our time was spent on going over all the rules this week, we also managed to squeeze in some artmaking time. I'm having the whole school K-5 do small cartoonish self-portraits to fit together in a mural of all our young artists. I sorted some crayons, markers, and colored pencils into baskets for each table. Some kids were upset that they couldn't have another color, but they adapted. Here are some of the Kindergartners' efforts:

from the "orange" table
 I'm really astonished with how well this project serves as an artistic development assessment. Can students follow directions (like draw with the paper in a vertical orientation, and fill in the entire paper with color)? What stage of people-drawing are they at (sun heads, shape bodies, stick arms and legs, or contour lines)?
from the "blue" table
With every class I encouraged students to persevere and fix any "mistakes". Part of my rules explanation included the statement, "We turn mistakes into Opportunities" and "Try your BEST". I explained how crumpled up artwork makes me very sad, and shows me that you're not really trying. It was a tough concept for some kids when markers hit paper, but we're all learning.
from the "green" table
It was fun to watch some kids brighten up when they realized how open the assignment was. I love those questions like, "Is it okay if I use black?" or "Can I draw myself in a dress?" Of course you can! As a result, I have some VERY interesting and creative "self-portraits".
from the "red" table

 I had originally planned on letting kids use pencils to sketch their picture out first. BIG mistake! My first class got way more stressed out about messing up, and got nowhere. From then on I said NO PENCILS! It drove home my "fix the mistakes" idea and worked out a lot better.
from the "yellow" table
 It will be exciting to see these all finished and put up together. Next week we've still got to do fire drill practice, and then we'll have a little more time to add some extra details. Hopefully we'll also be able to start combining the classes' efforts.
It's been an exciting first week!

No comments:

Post a Comment