Friday, September 21, 2012

Kindergarten Cooperation

 Loop-dy-loop-dy-loop! CCCS Kindergartners learned about the colors of the rainbow, made loopy lines, and learned about sharing materials in the art room this week. To get them started we sat in the circle area and sang a color song. Then we practised drawing small, big, fast, and slow loopy lines in the air.
 Some kindergartners have more careful coloring skills than others, but some of them put a lot of energy and enthusiasm into filling up their space. They had to share the crayon boxes, asking for it with a please and a thank you. They also had to share their table space and picture. I put out a giant piece of paper on each table (and a great "wooooow!" rose from the little ones).
 I'm really proud of how well my kindergartners are adjusting to the art room. They work cooperatively and quietly. When their pictures were done, I cut out the loops so they looked like clouds and hung them in the Kindergarten corridor. What I didn't know was that nearly the whole school uses the bathrooms in this corridor during lunchtime- and everyone has been really complimentary about how nice it is to have something to look at there while they wait their turn! Although I think we need a conversation about how to treat artwork in the halls. I saw one girl practically hugging one of the low-hanging loopy clouds.
Hopefully I'll have lots more work to hang up soon. The rest of the grades are all working on "name" inspired works (because I have so many names to remember!!!). Here are my exemplars hanging out on the board. We had art club signups this week, and Art Club starts after school next Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment