Friday, September 28, 2012

Time and Pace

All of my classes are in the midst of projects, so no blog-worthy pictures this week. We also had a schedule disruption with a mid-week day off for the holiday. It's interesting seeing what impact schedules have on the experiences kids have in the art class. I already feel like my 4th grade project has taken too long, and I'm very ready for us to move on. I thought my first graders would be done this week too, but realized nobody was ready for painting yet. There's got to be a balance between pace and creative attention. Moving too fast through a project makes the art little more than busy work. Moving too slowly can cause frustration and lack of interest in why we're doing an activity. I want our projects to be rich in exploration of ideas, provide enough time for all students to have an opportunity to accomplish something successfully, but also keep us rolling through the year with lots of artistic experiences.
In Art Club, I offered the kids a chart of possible activities- they voted, and the most popular item was stuffed animals! Guess what we're starting off with next week?

No comments:

Post a Comment